Following on from last year’s Lottery funded ‘Building Friendships’ project, there are big plans afoot for the outside spaces at St Margaret’s! Year 2 and Reception mum Gemma Burns has volunteered her time and gardening expertise to work with the school to create an exciting vision for the garden areas in the main school and nursery garden.
These plans include:
- planting programme for the flower boxes in the main playground
- upgrade of the wildlife area, installation of bird boxes and bug hotels to encourage wildlife to return
- development of a vegetable garden in the nursery space for all children to use and understand how their food grows
- much needed relandscaping of the nursery outside space for safety, easy maintenance and to allow opportunities for increased outdoor learning
- installation of waterbutts and other items to promote garden self-sustainability
- Installing a a child safe wildlife pond under the gazebo.
This is an exciting project which will provide multiple educational benefits to the children of all ages attending the school. Friends of St Margaret’s Lee Charity have pledged to support this project financially and have already released funds for the Community Gardening Morning at the school on Saturday 19th May. All proceeds from the May Fair on the 12th May will go to support the School Gardening Project.