Lewisham school football tournament

Up against 40 other schools, St Margaret’s have made it to the borough final!

The opening matches against Rathfern saw the A team win 3-0, with an opening goal from Walters, assisted by Lang, followed by two goals and two crossbar hits coming from the captain, Lang himself. Defender Brooks prevented the opposition from scoring with a sound display. In the B team match, Gros Desirs opened the scoring with a blinding strike from halfway. The opposition pressed hard and keeper Hayter made two outstanding saves to keep St Margaret’s in front, only to concede a late goal. Final score 1-1. A great defending debut from Ainger prevented more goals from coming.

Match two against St George’s saw the A team draw 0-0 with a great defending debut for Galbraith and solid performances from Kitaka and Labrouzi. The B team won 2-0, with both goals coming from midfield maestro, Gros-Desirs. Some great interplay between Hayter and Trusty-Copeland created good chances and Bleu kept things tight at the back.

Match three against John Stainer. A team won 1-0 with a very late free kick from striker Ghosh. The B team put on a glorious display, winning 3-0 with goals from Gros Desirs, Headley and Radley and assists from Wilson and a solid goalkeeping performance from Martin.

The final group match was lost by the A team, 2-1, with Walters getting the goal. The B team continued their dominance with another 3-0 win. Goals coming from Trusty-Copeland, Gros Desirs and a long range beauty from Headley. Some gritty tackles from Crispin and Bleu ensured keeper Hayter kept a clean sheet.

Both teams qualified for the knock out stage. The A team narrowly lost 1-0. The B team went down 1-0 to a controversial goals with claims of handball. However, without the aid of VAR, the goal stood. In the final minute of the match, from out of nowhere, Headley unleashed a curling right footed shot into the bottom corner!

He final whistle went. Penalties. Headley, buoyant from his goal made no mistake with his penalty, followed by a clinical finish from Gros Desirs. Tidemill’s third penalty hit the bar, leaving captain Martin with the job of sealing the match. With composure and accuracy, he slotted the ball home off the inside of the post. Victorious and through to the Lewisham borough final in two weeks time!